Milk Broth: Healing Golden Milk Recipe (With Bone Broth)
For a delicious spin on a timeless healing beverage, try making Golden Milk with bone broth. We owe a lot to Ayurvedic Medicine, including Golden Milk. Ayurvedic Medicine has been practised for centuries in India.
It’s traditionally made with milk, ghee, turmeric and a bit of black pepper. The pepper is necessary to absorb the active healing components of the turmeric.
The ghee is included as a fat source to help the absorption of the fat soluble components in turmeric. Sometimes honey is added for taste.
Turmeric is one of those foods good for everything. It’s a potent natural anti inflammatory which can help you in many ways.
In Ayurvedic medicine it’s used to detoxify the liver, aid in digestion, purify the blood, promote lung health and for general immunity.
I’ll make a big batch of Golden Milk every couple of weeks, then keep it on hand in the fridge. It turns into a paste when cooled. I simply warm it up to drink on it’s own.
Or if I’m rushed I eat it by the spoonful before a meal. Might sound weird but it really helps when I’m training a lot. It also helps digest meals properly.
- ½ cup milk (I use coconut milk from BPA free can)
- ½ cup organic bone broth (Chicken or beef)
- 2 tsp organic turmeric powder (use 1 tsp if you want weaker)
- Small (¼ inch) piece of fresh ginger. Peeled and grated.
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp fat (Ghee, coconut/MCT oil, chicken schmaltz)
- Honey to taste
- Bring milk in a pot to a hard simmer over low/medium heat
- Add and stir in all ingredients except honey
- Simmer Golden Milk for 7-10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally
- Turn off heat, remove Golden Milk from pot
- Serve warm with honey to taste
Read our list of 7 superfoods for healthy skin.
Photo by Hilary Hahn.