It’s soup season! What better way to celebrate the changing seasons than with a low carb roasted cauliflower soup. It’s velvety smooth, creamy and takes less than 1 hour.
We’ve got a ton of nourishing recipes coming soon. Today I’m sharing one that I worked on a lot last winter.
Cauliflower’s versatility makes it a staple for my winter meals. Now’s the time to eat seasonally as it is typically available locally from September thru February.
This cauliflower soup recipe works great in large batches, travels well and is easy to reheat.
You can meal prep early in the week and enjoy soup throughout the week for lunches and dinner. The soup will keep in the fridge for up to one week or frozen for 3 months.
Roast the cauliflower, sauté the rest
I buy bags of cauliflower florets from costco, saving some cutting time. But you can also buy a head of cauliflower and chop it yourself.
Drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil (avocado or coconut oil work great too), salt, pepper, and perhaps a bit of turmeric and paprika, if you’re feeling dangerous.
Place cauliflower in a roasting dish in the oven for 17-20 minutes at 400F. Roasting is the absolute best way to get the flavour of cauliflower to pop.
While it’s roasting, heat oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot. Cook sliced onions, fresh thyme (dried is okay too) and garlic until soft. About 5 minutes on medium.
Then add in chicken bone broth to start transforming this thing to a soup. Simmer. Make this recipe vegan friendly by substituting vegetable broth or our vegan superfood mushroom broth in for bone broth.
Next you add in the rest of the ingredients, including the roasted cauliflower, coconut cream (or heavy cream / cream cheese). Blend or smash things up, and you’re ready to eat.
This recipe also works in a slow cooker or crock pot. Just cook all ingredients (including roasted cauliflower) for 3 hours on low.
- 1 large head cauliflower (cut into florets, ~6 cups florets)
- 3 tbsp oil (avocado, coconut or olive)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 4 cups Organic chicken broth broth
- ¾ cup coconut cream (approx ½ can or 1 small can)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- Parsley to garnish
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or ⅓ cup nutritional yeast to substitute)
- Heat oven to 400 F
- Place cauliflower on a large baking sheet (or mix in bowl and transfer). Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika. Stir to coat.
- Roast cauliflower for 17-20 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat remaining oil on medium in your large soup pot.
- Add the onion, thyme and garlic to the oil and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add the bone broth to the pot along with the roasted cauliflower and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Use a potato masher (or an immersion blender if you’re fancy) to the mash the cauliflower whilst inside the pot.
- Stir in coconut cream and grated cheddar until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of pepper, parsley, cheese, bacon bits or nutritional yeast, if desired.
Photo by Kaboompics