Meet your new favourite dish to bring to any summer BBQ or potluck: a simple quinoa salad recipe with bone broth.
The trick is to simmer your quinoa (or any grain for that matter) in organic bone broth. Bone broth adds a savoury, rich flavour to any grain, plus you get collagen protein and hydrating electrolytes in your quinoa.
Quinoa salad is vibrant, fresh and above all, satisfying. Quinoa is nutritionally superior to other grains. It has natural fiber, protein and micro nutrients.
One small bowl of this quinoa salad has collagen protein and vegetables that satisfy your hunger, leaving you energized and happy.
This quinoa salad recipe is tossed in a hydrating lemon vinaigrette. Summer is about eating colourful meals that are in season. This can be a full meal or side dish for any event or occasion.
You can complete this recipe in 30 minutes. It stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Summer Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 3 cups organic bone broth (beef or chicken work great)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed sweet corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup macadamias or almonds, chopped (toasted if you prefer)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (2-3 tbsp juice)
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place quinoa in a medium sized pot with bone broth and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes until water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice, maple syrup, avocado oil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk together until thickened.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add to a large salad bowl.
- Add red pepper, cucumber, corn, tomatoes, nuts, and cilantro. Add in the lemon zest, lemon dressing, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until combined.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge before serving.